Get a Quote

Travel Insurance FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information
Age Limitations
Cancellation, Curtailment and Personal Items
Medical Conditions
Winter Sports

General information

Does the ETA cover business trips?

Yes, business trips are covered.

What is the excess?

£50 per claim.

Which countries are covered by the Europe policy?

Europe means geographical Europe (excluding Britain, Azerbaijan, Armenia or Georgia), all countries having a Mediterranean shoreline, Canary Isles, Madeira and Jordan. Please see below for a list of territories/countries not covered by this policy.

Are there any countries not covered by the ETA?

Trips to Afghanistan, Algeria, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Haiti, Iraq, Israel, Ivory Coast, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan (other than Punjab and Sind Provinces), Palestine, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Ukraine and Yemen

What is the maximum trip duration for ETA travel insurance?

Single Trip travel insurance will cover you for up to 87 days per trip and annual multi-trip cover will cover you for up to 60 days per trip.

If I no longer want my travel policy, do I get my money back?

We are proud of our comprehensive travel insurance policy and we hope you are happy with the cover it provides. If, however, you wish to cancel your annual travel insurance policy for any reason, you may do so within 14 days of the start date of the policy. You will receive a refund subject to no trips having taken place and no claims being made. We may keep an amount that reflects the administrative costs of arranging and cancelling the policy.

In the case of single trip travel insurance, you may cancel the policy provided there are more than 30 days between the date of purchase and the last day of your trip, and that less than 14 days have expired since the date of purchase. We may keep an amount that reflects the administrative costs of arranging and cancelling the policy.

What makes ETA travel insurance green?

Here at the ETA, we are completely carbon neutral. This means we offset all the carbon emissions our business is directly responsible for. We like to encourage our customers to offset their emissions where they can. Find out more about ETA Carbon Offsets.

ETA Travel Insurance is an Ethical Consumer Best Buy.

What is an EHIC card and do I need one?

The EHIC is the European Health Insurance Card, which replaced the E111 form in 2006. The EHIC entitles you to emergency medical treatment from the state-funded health service of any country in the European Economic Area (EU countries, plus Switzerland, Iceland and Norway). You will get the same level of treatment that is available to citizens of the country you are in, and a small contributory fee may be applicable. This may be claimed back on your return.

The EHIC does not entitle you to free private medical treatment. It is a condition of cover that you get an EHIC prior to travel. You can apply at your local Post Office, or online. There is no charge.

Age limitations

I have a family annual travel policy with the ETA, which also covers my 16 year old daughter. She is travelling abroad by herself, is she covered?

No, unfortunately any persons under the age of 18 would not be covered when travelling without a guardian. To be covered, your daughter will have to travel with a guardian, over the age of 25, who is also insured with the ETA.

I have read a review in Which? about your travel insurance and how you cover up to the age of 75, however it won’t let me buy online?

As of January 2012, upper age limits changed for our travel insurance product. For travellers aged 65 and over, we recommend insurance providers Good to Go

What are the upper age limits of this policy?

For single trip policies we cover up to the age of 64. For annual trip policies we cover up to the age of 69.

Cancellation, curtailment and personal items

Would I be covered if I miss my flight?

If you are delayed due to an insured event, for example adverse weather conditions, you would be covered up to £750 if you miss your flight.

What happens if my baggage is delayed?

If in the case that your baggage is delayed more than 12 hours we will pay up to the sum of £150 for the purchase of immediate necessities.

If my luggage is stolen, what is covered?

For personal baggage you are covered up to £3,500 for annual trips. There is a limit of £500 for any one article or pair or set of articles.

If I had all my money stolen, what would be covered?

In the case of lost or stolen monies, the ETA pays out a maximum of £750, with a cash limit of £300. We would advise travellers to carry no more than £300 cash whilst travelling to and from the holiday destination. If staying in a hotel, we would always advise that you lock all valuables and monies in a secured safe.

What do I do if I have money or personal effects stolen?

You will need to ensure that you make the police aware of the theft within 24 hours of discovering the theft. You will then need to complete and submit a claim form, details of which can be found here.

What is classed as a valuable?

A valuable means spectacles, sunglasses, contact or corneal lenses, watches, furs, jewellery, cameras, camcorders and any accessories, telecommunications, audio, visual and computer equipment or game consoles, including accessories. If you have any questions about travelling with valuables, please do give us a call on 0333 000 1234.

Do you cover bicycles?

Our cycle insurance covers cycling as standard. Multi-trip insurance covers bicycles with an insured value up to £1,000 against theft – check policy wording for lock requirements etc. Single-trip insurance covers bicycles up to £500.

If you are travelling with a bicycle worth over £1,000, you might want to consider an annual cycle insurance policy that covers up to 90 days in Europe and 60 days worldwide. Get an instant quote for annual cycle insurance

Medical conditions

Are my pre-existing medical conditions covered?

No. Medical conditions may only be considered for cover provided they have not changed in the last twelve months. This means you have not been diagnosed with any new condition, had the need to seek medical advice (routine check-ups are not included) or had your medication changed in any way i.e. type, dosage or frequency of the medication. If you are diagnosed with a condition or your condition changes after the travel policy has been purchased, you will need to call us to make us aware, as this may jeopardise your policy.

Does ETA travel insurance cover me if I am pregnant?

Yes, however if you are thirty weeks pregnant or over at any point during the trip, you would not be covered for any expenses arising from the pregnancy, childbirth or medical complications resulting from the pregnancy.

Do you provide cover for mental health conditions?

At present we are not able to cover for any forms of psychological illnesses. If the condition is managed according to medical guidance from your doctor, we may be able to offer travel cover, but cannot cover claims that arise as a direct result of such a condition.

How much am I covered for medical expenses?

We cover up to £10 million for medical expenses and £1500 for hospital benefits.

Winter Sports

Am I covered for Winter Sports?

Yes, if you are under the age of 65.  In the case of annual travel insurance only, the maximum period of cover for winter sports is 17 days in total during the period of insurance.  Please also refer to general exclusions in the policy wording.

Am I covered if the ski slopes are closed?

If all ski facilities at a pre-booked resort outside Britain are closed due to lack of snow, we will pay up to £300 (Excludes trips booked between the 1st May – 30th November).

If my ski equipment is stolen or lost, am I covered?

We will pay you up to £350 if your ski equipment is lost or stolen.